Until WIA Reauthorization, all funding will be decided year-to-year. Continuation applications are available for ABE programs. CBLO applications are currently being prepared.
Accountability is still a buzzword at the federal level.
Other points of interest:
1) In April, the DOE sent in an EL/Civics application to the Feds. The are still waiting for word on funds. What you need to know about the next EL/Civics grants:
- EL/Civics grants will be competitive
- The DOE is under pressure to integrate EL Literacy with EL/Civics in ALL grants
3) Mr. Suh is also working on the RFPs for the new CBLO grants. We do not know when the grant proposals will be ready.
4) Expect changes in the web based data system, which Shannon Beasly is working on.
5) Expect a new assessment policy in the policy and procedures manual by the end of this fiscal year.
6) Expect a new goal setting policy.
7) A universal intake form is being designed.
8)Monitoring and Evaluation components for the new grants include
- Monthly web-based NRS data reporting
- Desk audits (these are informal)
- Site visits
- A year-end evaluation (a report card for every program)
9) Funds tracking forms having changed. They will help you keep better track of expenditures.
Elizabeth Hawa's suggestions for writing DOE grants:
- Write your proposals from the angle of program improvement
- Demonstrate the need for your program using facts and statistics
- Consider something unusual, like offering traditional literacy services with Distance Learning instruction.
- Describe HOW you will manage your program, but mostly focus on instructional resources. Make instruction your centerpiece.
- History of success is important, but you should also acknowledge what didn't work and how you will build on your knowledge
Also NOTE page 10 of the ABE rfp. After next year, programs will not be allowed to import data into the DOE web based system.
To view the ABE RFP, please click here.